Monday, May 9, 2011

The Squirrel and the Acorn

The other day I was cruising on the lake. I wasn't  in a hurry and was enjoying the nice cool morning.
I came up on a curious site. There was a tree that had fallen from the bank and was half way in the water.
 As I got closer to the tree I noticed a squirrel was standing at the end of one of the branches. He was looking at the end of the branch that was hanging over the water. So I stopped the boat to watch the curious little fellow. He was obviously in a tither about something. His tail was twitching so fast it was nearly a blur. The little guy would run down the branch and just before he got to the end, he would run back. This went on for probably 20 minutes, when I noticed what the fuss was all about.   


There was an acorn at the end of that branch and it was driving the squirrel crazy.
You see, Squirrels aren't good swimmers and they avoid getting wet if they can help it.
Well I guess that squirrel was mighty hungry because he just couldn't let that delectable acorn just go to waste. Any ways  I watched as he would run back and forth and just could not gain the courage to get to that acorn. Then all of a sudden he finally got up enough nerve and ran down to the end of that branch and got the acorn. Then while he was feasting on his reward, the biggest bass I ever saw jumped out of the water and swallowed that squirrel and the acorn in one gulp. 


As I was trying to comprehend what I had just witnessed. That old bass came up and put another acorn right on the end of that branch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment